2/8/08

Just another day?

I actually had a completely different post in mind today, but I received an email this morning from my Aunt in New Mexico. And it flipped my train of thought. It was pictures from 9/11 and it startled me. Most definitely not something I wanted to regress to so early in the morning. The message in the email was interesting as well. It was telling stories (whether they're true or not, I'm not sure...but the point was brought home) on why certain people survived the attacks. One guy was late because his son had just started school, another guy had to stop for donuts because it was his turn to get them, another guy had gotten a blister from a new pair of shoes...etc. The end of the slideshow said something that I've been told many times before. But some how I have gotten so wrapped up in myself, I've forgotten.
"So, Now when I am stuck in traffic, miss an elevator, turn back to answer a ringing telephone...all the little things that annoy me...I think to myself, this is exactly where God wants me to be at this moment."
How true is that? Or have you really never thought about it? How many times have you been delayed by something so annoying as forgetting to turn off the coffee pot and having to go back in, or stepping in gum and having to take those few moments to get the nasty crap off your shoe. And then get into your car, and drive a couple minutes down the road only to see a fatal car accident that happened just moments before? That could have been you. And no matter how annoyed and late you become from these slight delays, there are always reasons. I remember very vivdly the first time that happened to me, though I'd rather not share it. Let's just say, I shouldn't be here. But apparently I haven't completed his plan for me, and there is still more good I can bring.

Yesterday I met my roomy's new boss. I had to give her a ride home because her brakes were out. And she started telling him about the work I had done for their company, and the look of appreciation clouded his face and he shook my hand and thanked me for being so understanding. I've never wanted praise for what I've done. Just as long as I was helping someone, that's all that matter to me. It made me blush actually, I've never thought what I did was extraordinary...but maybe I was wrong. It does take a patient person to deal with the type of residents that I worked with during the time I was interning there. But I loved doing it, it wasn't a job to me. And as much as I miss it, I know I could never do it again. He asked me to come back, but I've grown too soft hearted now. A few years ago, completely different story. And although I'm still cold hearted towards many subjects (i.e. Death, mental illness) having to explain what is going on with the family is always the hardest.

I guess my point of this blog is to remind you, no matter how hard the times may hit never forget you're not alone. And if you're the one on the other side helping the person remember this quote:

"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not." Oprah Winfrey :-)

Happy Friday Everyone!

Much Love,
K

2 comments:

Miriam said...

I think about that kind of stuff all the time. When I notice it I always think about how morbid but true it all is.

http://lspoon.wordpress.com

cmrpaul said...

I hear you. I try to always remember "Everything happens for a reason".